So, it’s that time of day, you’ve said your precious vows, toasted to your futures, heard the embarrassing best mans speech, sat through the tear jerking father of the bride speech, you’ve had your photos taken and now it’s the evening event, you can relax, kick back and have a few drinks by now surely? Hmmm not too many just yet! You’ve both got to take your place on the dance floor and remain firmly upright for the slightly nerve wracking first dance. As if holding your knees steady wasn’t enough as you made your way down the aisle, you’ve now got to entertain the guests and of course, share that special and intimate moment with your new husband. So choosing songs should be a piece of cake! (pardon the pun) It’s funny how you have tonnes of favourite songs that you list through your courting years as ‘our song’ or how many times you’ve said ‘we’ve got to remember this for when we get married’! and yet if you’re like me, you sit down to write the list of all your most treasured and memorable songs and … Uhhh… You’re suddenly staring at your brain on the floor wondering whether you’ve even listened to music over the last few years! Luckily, we’re here to help jog those memories and get you thinking. Here are some top fund your wedding tips!
1. Think back to special occasions – Your first date, your first dance, your engagement. There’s usually a song attached to one of these special moments.
2. Think back to a time where you bought a CD for each other. There’s a good chance that romance prompted you to buy it.
3. Think back to road trips, holidays away, romantic nights in where Barry White or Michael Buble may have been there to help set the ambiance.
4. Trawl through the decades of your lives (for me it was the 80’s and 90’s) and look at the top ten love songs for each of the decades.
5. Look back at films you’ve watched together whilst snuggled up on the sofa. Is there a favourite film? A romcom? Is there a song attached to any of them?
Start by writing an extensive list of all possible first dance songs, go through them and wittle them down one by one. After you’ve compiled a list of all your favourite songs, why not get your fiancé to compile a list of his favourite songs too? It could be that he comes up with a song that’s perfect for you both and yet it may never have crossed your mind. If this isn’t the case and you are having trouble agreeing on one specific song then why not choose a couple of songs that you both enjoy. After all, it’s your first dance as husband and wife so take your time and relish in it. If, after all this, you still find yourself struggling to come up with a few songs, we have a list to start you on your way.
1. Christina Perri – A Thousand Years
2. Jack Johnson – Better Together
3. Elvis Presley – Can’t Help Falling In Love With You
4. Michael Buble – Everything
5. Eric Clapton – Wonderful Tonight
6. Ed Sheeran – Thinking Out Loud
7. Nathan Sykes – Over and Over
8. Rascall Flatts – Bless The Broken Road
9. Jason Mraz – I Won’t Give Up
10. Billy Joel – Just The Way You Are
11. Adele – Make You Feel My Love
12. Coldplay – Sparks
13. Ben E King – Stand By Me
14. Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes – Up Where We Belong
15. Elton John – Your Song
16. Queen – You’re My Best Friend
17. Bruno Mars – Just The Way You Are
18. Snow Patrol – Chasing Cars
19. Kelly Clarkson – A Moment Like This
20. Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes – (I’ve Had) The Time of My Life (Dirty Dancing)
Whatever your preference, you’ll be able to find a truly remarkable song to share your first dance as husband and wife. Treasure the moment as it will be a memory that you look back on with fondness. These choices will really set the mood for your day, the tone throughout and the memories that will remain with your guests for many years to come. Like us on Facebook for more wedding inspiration.